Can convenience, quality and homegrown appeal beat Johor Bahru’s lower prices?
͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏
Dear readers,
I don't think I've met a Singaporean who hasn't crossed the Causeway at least once for cheaper groceries, a hearty meal and a haircut. I certainly have and each time, the savings make me wonder why I don't do it more often.
Next year, any excuses I have may well disappear. The Johor Bahru-Singapore Rapid Transit System Link, which is slated to open in January, promises a fast, hassle-free train ride, making cross-border shopping more tempting than ever.
That's good news for bargain hunters, but a growing concern for businesses here who are bracing for more Singaporeans to spend their dollars in Johor Bahru.
The challenge for them won't just be competing on price — it will be finding new ways to persuade us to stay.
In this week's Big Read, CNA TODAY examines how the RTS Link could reshape spending habits, what it means for Singapore businesses, and whether they can turn a looming challenge into an opportunity.
Yours faithfully,
Maria Almenoar
Supervising Editor, CNA Digital (Features)
|
|
|
|
ADVERTISEMENT
|
|
|
ADVERTISEMENT
|
|
|
|
|
|